USCIS applications and petitions are processed by USCIS Service Centers. There are 5 USCIS Service Centers in total. Each USCIS Service Center will only process certain types of application/petition.

The Two Stage Process

Determining which USCIS Service Center will process your application/petition is a two stage process:

  1. First, you need to identify which USCIS Service Centers process the type of application/petition you intend to file (for example, an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative). For information purposes only, we have indicated below which USCIS Service Centers generally have jurisdiction over each different type of application/petition:
Forms California Service Center Nebraska Service Center Potomac Service Center Texas Service Center Vermont Service Center
I-90 | Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card     X    
I-102 | Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document X X   X X
I-129F | Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (K-1/K-2 – not yet married – fiancé(e) and/or dependent child) X   X X X
I-129F | Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (K-3/K-4 visa – already married – spouse and/or dependent child) X X X X  
I-129 | Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker X X     X
I-130 | Petition for Alien Relative X X X X X
I-131 | Application for Travel Document X X   X X
I-140 | Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker   X   X  
I-192 | Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant   X     X
I-212 | Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal   X   X X
I-290B | Notice of Appeal or Motion X X X X X
I-360 | Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant X X     X
I-485 | Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status X X   X X
I-539 | Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status X X   X X
I-601 | Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility X X   X X
I-601A | Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver   X X    
I-612 | Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended) X       X
I-730 | Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition   X   X  
I-751 | Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence X       X
I-765 | Application for Employment Authorization X X X X X
I-765V | Application for Employment Authorization for Abused Nonimmigrant Spouse         X
I-817 | Application for Family Unity Benefits       X  
I-821 | Application for Temporary Protected Status X X   X X
I-821D | Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals X X     X
I-824 | Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition X X   X X
I-907 | Request for Premium Processing Service X X   X X
I-914 | Application for T Nonimmigrant Status         X
I-918 | Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status   X     X
I-929 | Petition for Qualifying Family Member of a U-1 Nonimmigrant   X     X


  1. Once you know which USCIS Service Centers have jurisdiction over the type of application/petition you intend to file, you then need to identify which USCIS Service Center has jurisdiction over applications/petitions originating from your State (for example, while all five USCIS Service Centers process I-130 Petitions for Alien Relative, an I-130 Petition filed by a resident of Hawaii may be processed at the California Service Center, whereas an I-130 Petition filed by a resident of Utah may be processed at the Nebraska Service Center).It is important to note that the USCIS Service Center with jurisdiction over the case may not necessarily be the USCIS Service Center which is geographically closest to the applicant/petitioner.

Please note, this article has been provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you intend to file a USCIS application or petition, we would recommend that you contact us, in order to seek advice regarding your unique case and circumstances from a licensed US Immigration Attorney.

Davies Legal Immigration

At Davies Legal Immigration, we represent clients in connection with all areas of business, employment and family based immigration. We offer a comprehensive service at a competitive fixed fee and undertake to keep you informed. Call now for a complimentary telephone call with a licensed U.S immigration attorney and obtain a free, no obligation quote for our services.

Published: 13th August 2018